Oracle released the first Early Adopter release of Application Express 5. For more info, see this page on oracle.com.
A free space to play around in the new version can be requested at http://apexea.oracle.com/.
Shameless copy taken from the Oracle Blog post on the new features (including a “reimagined user interface” (?)):
Major Enhancements include :
- A new “Page Designer”: a completely new IDE designed to greatly improve developer’s productivity, allowing you to very quickly enhance and maintain pages within Application Express.
- Modal Dialogs: Now you can easily define modal (and non-modal) pages complete with the ability to utilize standard page processes.
- Navigation Lists: The Application Builder has used navigation lists for years.. and now you can, too!
- Interactive Report Enhancements: In Early Adopter 1, end users can now define a pivot report at runtime, which is similar to defining a group report.
- All New Calendar: The new calendar component comes with built in support for Month, Week, Day, and Agenda views and is much easier to customize.
- Shared Components File Upload: Files uploaded into shared components can be cached by your browser and are now referenced using relative file urls.
- Reimagined User Interface: A completely reimagined user interface for Application Express which is focused on simplicity and removing clutter.